Did you know that more and more advertisers are relying on affiliate marketing for part of their revenue? Like over 15,000? Word on the street ( a.k.a, a simple google search), affiliate marketing is emerging as a key tool to engage consumers with compelling products. This is happening because people are coming to expect evoking and relevant content. Publishers are beginning to realize that affiliate marketing is a great way to get new opportunities for driving revenue to their sites and other content as well. In other words, affiliate marketing is leading the way for people to opt in easily to make a passive income online.
But with all of these choices how does one choose which one to opt in (or out) of? Hopefully this will shed some light on three super common affiliate programs. For each one I have listed the pros and of course the cons.
So first off…Clickbank.
- The major advantage of Clickbank is a ton of digital products available to promote. So, likely you have a niche for your website and here is where you would search for a related product to promote and enhance your blog or post. You simply search through their products and find one that you think would be of interest to your audience. New products are added all the time and you don’t have to worry yourself with production or storage of the product.
- Another major bonus of the Clickbank platform is the potential to earn big. Providing you do your bit, have a website that provides value rich content and a relevant product to market alongside of it. And of course follow their guidelines and best practices. You do this and you can expect to earn high. The commissions from Clickbank are generous enough to make your efforts worthwhile. The vendors themselves choose the commissions on products but they are typically in the region of a generous 50 to 70 percent on every sale that you make. Therefore, high commissions mean that you’ll be able to make a passive income for the long haul.
- The third advantage of the platform is that it is easy to get into, and you don’t need to invest any money. You simply sign up and peruse the available products. In a nutshell, You find a product to promote and create a customized HopLink. Someone goes to your site, clicks on your Link, goes to the vendor’s website, and hopefully purchases the product. You then receive credit for promoting that sale. They handle the logistics as Clickbank provides all the features of a typical e-commerce platform. Done.
- So after reading the pros of Clickbank, you are likely to want to dive right in. Hold up. While you don’t really have anything to lose by signing up and advertising one of their affiliate products on your website, it is important that you choose your affiliate product very carefully. The biggest problem with Clickbank (and many other affiliate marketing programs ) is the amount of junk being peddled. With more emphasis on quantity than quality, there are many digital products, including programs and electronic guidebooks, that are little other than spam. So tread lightly and select wisely.
- This, leads nicely into my next point. You need to choose a product that you yourself believe in. And given the point I just made regarding some products on Clickbank being useless, finding something that you are proud to promote, may not be easy. So take your time and do your research. Remember, the products, good or bad, will reflect on you and your brand. It will take some time until you can find something that’s truly worth advertising on your website. However, it is important that you invest the time and effort rather than risking harm to your reputation by advertising a product that your visitors are not likely to be impressed by or interested in. And that is not the lasting impression you want people to have about you and your brand.
- So with quality products being in higher demand, you can imagine there is also a higher competition among affiliates to promote them on their sites and make the sale. So unfortunately, some of us newbies may not stand a chance against the seasoned affiliates dominating the search engines.
In conclusion, Clickbank is solid and well-established and for those of you that have been around the internet block, your probably good to go. For you fresh meat however, hold on to your hats, it could be a bumpy ride.
Amazon, how far you have come. From starting in the founders garage, to being known for lightning fast shipping, and selling virtually anything online, they are truly taking over the world. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. But before I sing all of your praises, you got a little pro and con action to take.
- They make it easy. Do I need to say more? Yes, I do. Registering for the Amazon associates program is probably one of the easiest things you can ever do on the internet. Really, it takes only a few days for new applications, and as long as you have a passable site or app, you can probably expect an approval.
- There are a ton of stuff to promote. So whatever you are into, you can easily get your freak on with whatever moves and inspires you.
- Once you are good to go with your associates’ account, you’ll get access to a link tool that you can use to create either plain text, image or text+image affiliate links. And if you are a WordPress fan, they make it easy with Plugins and such to smooth out your affiliate marketing ride.
- Different products attract different commissions. So if your niche favors video games which has a 1% commission rate, this may not stand up to the beast that is fashion, which rakes it in at a cool 10%. So there’s that.
- Amazon can be strict. Amazon has laws people, and you’d be best to mind them. To be fair these are put into place to level the playing field, but if you can’t keep up, they might work against you. Like if you don’t make a sale within 90 days of creating your account, you could get blocked. Oh, and don’t expect a commission if Granny May tries to do you a solid by buying a product for YOU to use from your link, then sending it over in a nice little granny care package. Nope. Amazon is a billion dollar company, they have ways to track this, so be warned.
In conclusion, while Amazon is a heavily trusted brands in the online world, there are downsides as well. But, by aligning your niche site with them, your likely to obtain trust from your visitors. And that’s pretty huge.
What can I say about comparing WA effectively against any program out there…there is nothing like it available within the industry.
- They make it so easy with having everything in one place. You can host and manage your site, all within WA. Blogging is a breeze on the platform they have put into place that allows you to immediately export to your site. And if you need help, inspiration or to look up some training, it’s all here. One password lets you into the golden gates and beyond.
- The WA online education community is epic. Never have I seen such a supportive place, that truly wants you to succeed. Endless tutorials, and when I say endless, I mean it. ANYTHING you want to know about building an online business is here. From picking your niche and website development and programming to search engine optimization and marketing your content. Truly a from A to B platform. You are never stuck for content ideas or questions here. And more is coming all the time.
- I also love that you can immediately sign up for free without a credit card, and they give you a 7-day free trial to their paid membership so you can have “peak under the curtain” so to speak. So literally no risk, as you know what you are getting into right away, no surprises. And if you choose to opt out of the premium upgrade, all good as there is plenty there in the free members area to get you started earning online and keep you busy.
- Let’s talk about the founders, Kyle and Carson. They seem to really care about this platform and it’s members. You will often see them “making the rounds” in the community chats and forums. Offering options and encouragements. Also, they offer a kick ass Las Vegas promotion trip for rock star WA affiliates every year that’s off the hook. This in turn keeps members motivated and sharp.
- There is a live chat which is fabulous, but if you plan to ask and expect an answer during the busier hours, you may be waiting awhile.
- Free training portion is limited to the basics of getting started. So all of that that epic training I spoke of above, you need to be a premium member to access the majority of that.
- Because there is so much information on this business platform, it is easy to become over excited and jump right in. Thus leading to the classic overwhelm. So for those of you prone to this, you may just want to start from the top and slowly ease your way in.
So in conclusion, all three programs have something to offer in terms of flexibility and the ability to earn an income online. However, from the websites, to the keyword research, to getting help and motivation, as well as networking with others online, to saving yourself from the abundance of scams out there. Wealthy Affiliate is going to become a very obvious choice for you.